Monday, July 25, 2011

Module 4 - Connections


Learning occurs in multiple segments of my network.  I learn through discussions, observations, reading web sites, sharing blogs, completing online book studies, modifying and using shared resources, and so many more.  As I went through the mind mapping process, I identified some common networking themes.  Five years ago, Facebook and blogs would not have made my list.  Now they are communication tools in several nodes of my map.  The biggest change is in the quantity of connection styles available in all areas. 
Networks and the growing magnitude of digital tools are enriching communication and learning in my life.  There are so many avenues available to get information.  Learning new material allows me to explore in many different areas and not be restricted in my research.  If one approach is slow or unproductive, I can easily switch to a different one.  This ability to fluctuate between styles has improved the learning process for me.  It also makes things interesting and keeps my attention focused. 
The digital tools facilitating my learning are predominantly computer based.  My laptop, a desktop at work, and a smart phone provide instant connectivity.  I have access to work through Citrix on my laptop, so location does not impact my ability to work.  I am exploring the idea of adding and Ipad or EReader to my digital tools.  I feel they may have an element of being digital toys, however, so I have refrained so far.  We have a Smart TV with Internet access connected to a DVR where we can be connected while delaying our television viewing to a convenient time. 
On our recent vacation to Indonesia, we rented a villa in Bali.  There were seven adults in our group.  We had three laptops, one Ipad, one EReader, seven smart phones, and two “dumb” cell phones between us.  Two people in our group purchased SIM cards as we entered the country.  Having a cheap, local phone for communication was an obvious benefit.  On several occasions, we found ourselves sitting in this beautiful place with our digital toys posting to Facebook, sharing photos from the day, and having Skype conversations with friends and family.  I posted my class work on schedule with my classmates and professors unaware of my change in location. 
My new style of learning goes beyond the hardware.  When we are out to dinner puzzling over a question, someone in the group will pull out an Iphone to research the answer.  At home searching, someone will Google using one of the five computers in the house to come up with options.  I have not used a phone book in years and routinely recycle them when they arrive at my house.  My father, who is about to turn 90, uses an Ipad for reading the newspaper and books, working puzzles, playing games, accessing his bank information, and ordering prescription drugs.  He can increase font size, turn up the volume, and easily carry this eminently practical tool.
Ready access to data and communication is changing the scope of learning today.  This is true at home and hopefully in school.  Students are using these tools even if schools are behind in adoption of these practices.  I have to ask myself, if my 90-year-old father can do this, why are local schools having so much trouble?
Consider checking out the list of ten blogs on social learning.  This looks like an interesting link for blogs related to learning and networking with technology. http://www.blogs.com/topten/top-10-social-learning-blogs/

8 comments:

  1. Technology has turned the world around, and wherever you are, you just need to stay connected. It has avail both young and old the opportunity to learning at their convenience. Access to information has made the world a better place. Being away from home, you had more than enough electronic devices that could be used for communication and information, which amongst the lot did you find most effective?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeriann,

    Very nicely developed mind map. I too found it interesting to think of all the tools present in my connections mind map that did not exist or would not be in my repertoire five years ago. You make an excellent point regarding the availability of choices in making connections. I think it is important for educators to encourage students to explore multiple avenues for learning and making connections. If one tool/avenue seems slow or unproductive, the learner should leave it and explore other options. One great benefit of the rapid growth of technology is that new productive tools are created everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeriann

    I really enjoy your explanation of the technology that you use. It is amazing how many of these toys and gadgets that we have seemed to have accumulated. I felt pretty savvy to use my phone to see what movie was playing last night and preview the menu before I went to the restaurant since I didn't want to waste time reading over the menu.
    In contrast I have some friends who do have a cellphone or a computer in their home. I do not know how they live without them and sometimes they miss out on last minute functions. My over 40 year old sister barely knows how to check her email and does not know how to write a document using Microsoft word. What would you suggest for I do to help her get into the 21st century?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeriann
    Awesome explanation of how you keep connected using the many technologies you have access to in your life. Isn't it wonderful the means we now have that enables us to remain connected to our networks, personal and business from hundreds, even thousands of miles away. It seems in many aspects and by looking at your mindmap, technology has increased our ways of staying personally connected to many people we may not have been able to in the past. Through your post I started to think about my father. I know my father uses Facebook and email to connect with family members and old friends he would not of been able to only a few years ago without the social networking site. Great post and information about connections, you made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aderonke,

    I would have to say the Iphone provided the best options. Two of the Iphones had international data plans making data available even when wifi was not. This allowed us to access maps and other information from any location. The trip was certainly different in dynamics than our last visit to the area. We lived in Jakarta from 1989 to 1995. During that time, we saw the arrival of Internet. There are generations of young people whose parents never had a phone at home. They all are on Facebook through Smartphones now. This is a dramatic change in the 20 years that has transpired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra,

    I wonder what we do for people like your sister or students in our classroom that do not have access to technology. In our family I would say I am a first adopter and my sister is last. She finally got a cell phone about three years ago and it just makes phone calls. We are working on her! As for my dad, he was easy. We asked him if he would like an Ipad. His response was relatively noncommittal. We bought it as a gift and sat down and explained what it could do. Then it was just a matter of visiting once in a while and showing him how to do things. He is naturally curious and really a smart guy. He took to it right away. I doubt he would have ever bought it for himself, however. Having it there at his fingertips allowed him to see how it would apply to his needs.

    i think many people are in that situation. New technology can be expensive. Spending a lot of money on a tool that you don't know how to use is scary. If people were able to try things out first and see the value and experience competence, their fears could be reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeriann,

    I found your description of changing location without anybody being aware rather humorous. My previous position as a software trainer, I was setup to work from home. My other position (on non-training days) was to answer the technical support line when it got busy. While my support colleagues were in the call center at our office, I could be found anywhere (home, relatives homes, airports, hotels, etc.). I could work from anywhere with a phone line and the internet. Interestingly enough, I could do the same job as those with large commutes at the office.

    Technology has certainly changed things, but some supervisors did not like the loss of "control" that they could exercise in this environment. In this particular example, I was hard to micro-manage. They scowled and I smiled!

    Have a great one!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jeriann,
    I wonder how long it will be before companies will have the technology in place to know exactly where you are all the time when you use your cell phone....this is an example of the downside of the connnectivism that has changed our world so much.
    Debbie Stripling

    ReplyDelete